I really love dairy. I think I’ve probably said this before. What’s not to love? It’s a delicious food group. Unfortunately, my body does not love it back. I constantly flip flop back and forth between eating delicious cheese and cream-based concoctions, but when I’m honest with myself there’s no denying that my body is happier during exclusion.
So once again here I am in grain free, dairy free, soy free land. Hey, I guess it could be worse–it could be the AIP diet again. Life is SO hard without eggs and nuts.
Here’s something I wondered this morning at breakfast: what’s one to do if they just want a simple, old fashioned sandwich while trying to eat keto(ish) and yet they’re avoiding these problem foods? I really just wanted a breakfast sandwich tbh. My husband says gross, but my stomach (and kids) says yum. Bacon, eggs, and turkey stacked into something simple and magical.
Here’s the dairy-free magic, ya’ll. It’s carbier than the dairy version, but no offense, cream cheese cloud bread, this tastes much better and somehow less eggy.
- 3 eggs, eggs and yolks separated
- Dash of cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Separate egg yolks and whites into different bowls.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until white, frothy, and retains shape/peaks. I think of it as a meringue bread.
- Add spices, almond flour, and almond milk to the egg yolks. Beat into a liquid.
- Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites.
- Spoon onto parchment paper about an inch thing. I just make small circles 2 or 3 inches wide, about sandwich size.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
These should be stored in the refrigerator. When you want to reheat them, just pop them in a warm oven for a few minutes.