This is really more of a how to, DIY home recipe for a luxurious herbal face and body scrub, but I don’t want it confused with food.
Well, January is feeling great, we’re a week in and I hope most of us are still going strong on those new goals. One surefire way to continue to feel good is to treat yourself right.
As most of you have probably figured out, I don’t generally approve of sugar as a food additive, but there is one thing that it is GREAT for–skincare. Sugar is an incredible exfoliant! Well, and it’s food for attracting ants, so that’s two things. I digress.
If you want to use salt instead, that’s fine, but salts are a bit abrasive, especially on the face, so you might want to powder it in a mortar and pestle first (if you happen to have one lying around). I used salt because we don’t usually keep sugar in the house. My absolute favorite version of this was made with brown sugar as a base. It was wonderful! I would put it on about 5 minutes before getting in the shower and then let it crystallize on my face. I also don’t usually take the time to powder my herbs all the way, because I don’t mind it a little rough and chunky.
Supplies: Disclosure: some of the supplies linked are affiliate links, meaning that, at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you use this link to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 mason jar
- 2 cups sugar, brown sugar, salt (please powder it first) as a base substance
- 1/2 cup herbs (I bought this herbal kit to get myself back in the swing of things)
- If you’re using salt as a base substance, grind in a mortar and pestle until a fine powder. Add salt or sugar to mason jar.
- Select your herbs. I have chosen mine based on skincare and anti-inflammatory properties.
- One at a time, grind each herb in your mortar and pestle (or you can blend them in a blending apparatus for a few seconds).
- Add ground herbs to mason jar.
- Shake until combined.
That’s it! I love making this stuff, and I enjoy giving it as gifts too.