Thanksgiving is here, and this year some of us have extra time to play around with new recipes. Why not experiment with a fun, nutritious twist on a classic side? I have taken this to family gatherings and there is never leftovers! It’s now a family go-to for holidays.
- 4 pounds pork sausage–I like to blend 2 hot, 1 sage, and 1 country mild
- 1 cup sweet peas, frozen
- 2-4 large onions, diced
- A few cloves of minced garlic
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms–others are fine, I just like these
- 2-5 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 pound riced cauliflower (optional, I’ve been omitting it in recent years)
- Oregano, paprika, rosemary black pepper, salt to taste
- Cooking fat, such as avocado, olive, coconut oil, or tallow
- Dice onions. In a large skillet, cook 1-2 lbs sausage and onions over medium high heat until meat is cooked thoroughly and onions have released their water and browned.
- Dice mushrooms and sweet potatoes.
- Transfer cooked sausage into large bowl or container. I like to use a huge sheetpan for the oven to mix everything evenly.
- Fry next 2 pounds of sausage over medium high heat. Add to pan.
- Add fat to pan and fill with vegetables. Fry over medium high heat until cooked through and starting to caramelize. Add desired spices. Add to larger pan.
- Repeat step 5 until all ingredients are cooked. Combine in large dish, mix together, and enjoy!